Wednesday 16 August 2017

My Monday Morning

I had a productive morning on Monday. It felt wonderful. I had been thinking about some changes I could make to use my time more valuably .  Being a Mum, I was finding I always had just small pockets of time throughout the day. A few moments here or a half an hour there around the school routine and it felt like I wasn't fitting in some regular practices important to me.



I decided I needed to start walking regularly again and fit in ten minutes of meditation every day.  It just makes me feel so much better.  However, I was finding it hard to do it at a regular times as my daughter had different things on throughout the week, sometimes she had to be at school early, other times she had after school activities, plus life in general.  I was finding if I left it until the end of the day, mostly it wouldn't happen.  I just couldn't get into a routine. Our weeks constantly change with things like school excursions, husband away for work sometimes, you get it.  So I had to think a bit more flexibly.

I decided I needed to do the walk and meditation in the morning. There is more chance I will do it.   I thought  if I couldn't walk before she went to school, I would walk as soon as I got home from dropping her off.  I'm trying to commit to at least 3 walks a week and meditation every day. It was a great start on Monday and often just starting is the hardest part.  I'll share some of my Monday morning with you.
Walking shoes on - a good start!


I got up earlier, slipped on my walking gear, headed downstairs and started preparing lunch for my daughter.  I chatted to my husband before he went to work.   My daughter and I continued on our morning routine.  We had a delicious concoction of scrambled eggs with grated vegetables mixed through it.  We both enjoyed this nourishing breakfast.

I got my daughter off to school, popped into the shops to pick up a few groceries and got home.  Out the door for my walk I went.


Walking has always makes me feel good and it sets me up for the day.  I walked around our neighbourhood for 20 minutes, breathing in the fresh air and feeling the sun on my skin.  I love to walk and look at all the houses.  It interests me.  I might come home with an idea for our own.  Sometimes I might see their pets at the window or on the driveway.  I always say hello to fellow walkers.
My neighbourhood

But the thing I noticed the most on this particular Monday walk were the scents in the air.  Past a wattle tree I walked, I didn't see it, but that familiar smell made me breathe a bit deeper.  A few minutes later, the strong scent of a curry plant filled the air. It was planted in the front garden bed of the house I was walking past.   Again I breathed deeper to soak up that smell.  And lastly as I was on my way home, the smell of freshly cut grass wafted in the morning air.  I love that smell.  Just Breathe.
There are lots of parks around my neighbourhood


Home I went and was greeted at the window by this beautiful boy.


I came in, had big glass of water and got straight into my meditation.  I like to lie in our rumpus room, it has beautiful light in the morning.  I quietened my mind and breathed deeply.   I can't always stop the whirling thoughts very well, but if all I do is stop and breathe, it is worth it.

Next the cooking began.  I made this absolutely delicious salad.  So many components but totally worth it.  Roasted carrots with garlic, cumin, sumac and lemon juice.  I could have eaten the whole tray just like that.  Homegrown kale, stir fried with garlic and olive oil.  Roasted hazelnuts.  Brown rice and a delicious orange maple dressing.  Add some freshly chopped parsley, mix it all up and YUM.  The flavours were amazing together.


Then I baked this bread, a version of the No Knead Bread.  Raisin Bread.  The smell of that baking in the oven is to die for.   My daughter had a lovely afternoon tea waiting for her.


The clock hit twelve noon and that was my Monday morning. Productive and good for the soul. Not every day is like this in the messy chaos of life. But walking and meditating helps me to maintain some calm in the busy days.  I'll hold onto the memory of that morning, the way I felt that morning.

10 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your Monday morning Belinda and here's to many more just like it too.
    I take Samson every morning and we walk halfway to school with the kids before they go one way and Samson and I the other. I arrive home, hang the washing and jump on my bike for a good 40 minutes or so. I ride through our parks and tackle a few hills. Then its home where I continue with my list. My bike ride is something I actually schedule now.
    Love that salad too especially with the cumin and roasting the carrots and garlic. Aaaah making me hungry now, I can almost taste it.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a good routine going there Kylie. I think you are right, you actually have to schedule in things like exercise. That salad was awesome, one of my new favourites!

      Delete
  2. Your food looks so good .. I love to walk too you have just inspired me to start back up my Morning walks... Have a happy week ahead... May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks May. I hope you do get out for your morning walk. There are so many benefits. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Hello Belinda, l am very much enjoying reading your blog. I try to live a life style very much like yourself and Rhonda, though l feel quite alone in it as none of my friends or family have the same goals or interests. Having contact with a like minded person be it on-line is for me like talking to a friend, sharing and learning from one another. We both seem to have adopted a cat the same age at the same time. I was inspired by the 'Dress ups' and gave it a go with 'Edith'. Umm... our little girl didn't seem to embrace the idea in the same way your little man seemed too! It did give us a little laugh though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for commenting, I agree it does feel like a community of like minded souls, who share a passion for simple living. Not all of my friends or family live the same way, but I just keep doing what I do and I feel confident it is the best way for our family. It took awhile for me to get to that stage and sometimes I still have some doubts or feel I have to justify why we choose to live this way. It certainly is a journey. I can tell you, we could only dress up Crunchie when he was in a very deep sleep and he was a few months younger. I don't think he would be too happy with us doing that now either! Thanks for following along, it is nice to know there are other like-minded souls out there.

      Delete
  4. Mornings are my favourite time of the day. I think, after looking at your photos, that I will start my walking routine again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Ann. I just know I feel so much better if I walk.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that looks like such a pretty neighborhood. Walking is so good for us, on so many levels. I meditate every evening. It really makes a difference. I never thought of making the No Knead bread with raisins. That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephenie, I actually don't like raisins, but my daughter and husband love it. I add some spices like cinnamon in too. I've also made a chocolate bread with the No Knead bread, with added cocoa powder and dark and white choc chips. That was yummy too!

      Delete